MALACAÑANG made an assurance on Saturday that it is always prepared to extend assistance to Filipinos asking for help in Saudi Arabia particularly those who are undocumented and wanting to go back to the Philippines.
At least 7,000 Filipino workers sought repatriation from Saudi Arabia after King Abdullah ordered a three-month delay on government crackdown against illegal and overstaying foreigners in that country.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the country’s embassy in the Middle Eastern country extends assistance to those who wants to go home.
Valte also said her office received a letter last week from three Filipinos wanting to be repatriated to the Philippines. She said they endorsed them to the Philippine Embassy in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia that will facilitate their return to the Philippines.
“Hindi naman problema sa atin ‘yan. Trabaho natin ‘yan, facilitating assistance to undocumented Filipinos who may want to go back to the country,” she said.
“Patuloy naman ang assistance na ine-extend ng ating mga posts doon sa mga undocumented workers. In the same way na kapag meron ding reklamo, ipaaabot din sa amin para nagagawan din natin ng paraan.”
According to Migrante, 7,000 have signed up for repatriation but it expects the number could go up because 20,000 were considered undocumented out of about 1.5 million Filipinos in Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah stopped the crackdown against illegal immigrants and foreign workers in April, giving them three months to fix their status.
Those who will be caught without proper documents may land in jail and could be fined, deported and banned from entering Saudi Arabia. (PND)